To report fraudulent transactions on your Visa credit card…
Review the steps listed on the back of your monthly statement. The easiest method listed there is report the fraud directly to Visa by calling their customer service line at 800-322-8472. Remember that there is only a 60-day window to report the fraud starting from the time the fraudulent transaction first appears on your monthly statement.
To report fraudulent transactions of your debit card…
Call First Miami or stop in as soon as possible. If our office is not open, you can report a lost or stolen card by calling 800-264-5578.
To help prevent fraud and identity theft…
Fraud is an ever-growing problem in today’s digital age. It’s estimated that it costs consumers and businesses several hundred billion dollars each year. However, there are many ways you help to ensure you won’t become its next victim:
- Apply for and review your credit score – The government has mandated that you can apply for one free credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus yearly. Take advantage of this service and analyze your credit report at least yearly to ensure that no one else is taking advantage of your credit.
- Reconcile your bank accounts – You can quickly catch fraudulent transactions by regularly looking over your account details.
- Never give out personal information over the phone or Internet – Legitimate institutions will never contact you to ask for your PIN number, credit/debit card number, Social Security Number, or any other form of personal information.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately – This simple action will result in your card being frozen so that all future transactions will be blocked. A quick response can prevent any unauthorized use of your card.
- Carry only necessary information with you – Reduce the number of credit cards you carry in your wallet or purse, and don’t carry your Social Security card unless absolutely necessary. Less information in your wallet means fewer headaches in the event that your purse or wallet is lost or stolen.